My Future Project

A Decaying Society (my bestie came up the title, it rocks ;). A society in the future that is and isn't literally decaying. Think of the movie Wall-E, it's similar in the fact that people wouldn't be seeing the world around them let alone each other. Same idea in my pictures. People are so consumed with this newspeak and by communicating through texting (entire conversations mainly, rather than what it used to be for, just short informative messages like "we're here," so that someone wouldn't have to waste their minutes for a couple second phone call). To go a bit further with my idea, in this very digital world, people communicate more without hearing the other person's voice or even seeing them face to face, and I could go on and on...

So I decided to do a series, and when I printed them, I printed them as shown below, from smallest to greatest to emphasize the escalation of this situation in the possible future (another great idea from my lovely). I mounted each picture approximately an inch apart with borders on a black foam board. One thing I learned is that I'm not cutting the board with a utility knife again, I ended up butchering the edges, it's just gonna be super sharp exacto knives from now on. Anyways, I did enjoy doing this project, it was a lot of cutting and pasting, and I went through several ideas about the detail of the pictures, but I like the final product and am glad I had an idea I stuck with.



I wanted to stick with the pictures looking like they are documentary type photos, like I'm documenting the world and people at the time. I made it black and white, and normally I like very contrasty pictures, so I had to try and refrain from doing that too much because I wanted the photos to look dull and flat, like the bland text message blobs as each person's head. Things aren't as interesting or as lively. I do think I should have blurred the background a bit more, to obscure the scenery because it's not important to the people in the photos. In the ad (I contemplated how to go about this) I decided that I would make him faceless, because as a picture (within my picture) he is not communicating with others, but it goes to show that people don't see people anymore, they don't see details, etc, etc. So those are just some things about my project, hope you enjoy and I do appreciate feedback :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment