My Life Drawing Class

In my class, we're always looking for shapes and negative shapes in the figure and in the interior around the figure. Using architecture around the model is very helpful in seeing where and how he or she is positioned. Many of our gestures are done in 2-5 minutes, with an occasional generous 10 minutes to check, recheck, and observe.

At the beginning of the semester, there was a basic formula my class was taught and followed.
1. Draw a center line (following the body, from base of neck to usually an ankle, depending on the pose)
2. Draw a platform line (establishes width of pose/distance between feet)
3. Draw a skirt (of legs) up to pelvic line
4. Draw a triangle from pelvic line to base of neck
5. Draw the shoulder line (usually at base of neck, if drawing the back, it would be lower, you'd draw the triangle to 7th cervical)
6. Draw the center line through the head
7. Draw the orbital line

In my class we want to stick to traveling along the center line (which can be changed or shifted if needed). It's like Main Street for us. After understanding the torso (establishing where navel is and nipples, etc) and breaking everything into shapes, we want to break at the joints (knees, ankles, elbows, wrists, etc). I've learned so much from this class and am starting to draw and notice things in a different way than before.
Front and back gesture of the same pose.

First drawing my class completed of the model laying down, using the platform to help.

The last drawing I worked on.
In my class we're starting to look at muscle groupings and planes of the body. The human body is so fascinating! I'm feeling better and more confident in drawing the figure, something I did not think I could do before, well at least not very detailed or as accurately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment