Sculptor: Kate MacDowell


As I was browsing one of my favorite art magazines I enjoy from time to time, Hi-Fructose, I came across Kate MacDowell and her sculptures caught me off guard, I loved it. Here's an excerpt from MacDowell's statement:
I chose porcelain for its luminous and ghostly qualities as well as its strength and ability to show fine texture. It highlights both the impermanence and fragility of natural forms in a dying ecosystem, while paradoxically, being a material that can last for thousands of years and is historically associated with high status and value. I see each piece as a captured and preserved specimen, a painstaking record of endangered natural forms and a commentary on our own culpability.
Check out more of her thought provoking work, here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment